Sunday, February 8, 2009

Ambition...

I am determined to move to NYC. All over the internet there are blogs about people's stories about moving to New York, and people's advice about moving to New York, and people saying "Don't move to New York!" Having read quite a few, though only a small percentage I'm sure, I feel heartened. This could very well be possible. But I think I have definitely been going about it backwards. I've been looking quite a bit at housing and such, mainly to get a feel for the costs. And because I've concentrated on that, I've been preoccupied with thinking of ways to reduce the cost. Instead, I should be concentrating on raising capital to get there/survive in the first place. I have just over a year before I need to start a serious job/apartment search from across the country. Between now and then, I need to have a list of goals:

-Get a job: I don't care what it is, I just need to fill my schedule. Without rowing, my evenings have really opened up, so hopefully I'll be able to get some sort of job downtown. Not having a car really hinders what I can do.

-Finish my degree strong: Anything to revitalize my GPA after the crash that was engineering. Good thing I'm actually enjoying my classes now.

-Save as much money as I can: There seems to be a trend here...

-Tap all of my resources: Find all my friends from New York, ask them about the city and such. Go to student services and see what members of the Trojan Family are living in NYC currently. See what online communities exist that I can gain contacts from.

Any input on what else I should do would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
-Peter

No comments: