Monday, February 2, 2009

A Brief History... Part 1

So I've done a lot of things in life (I'm sure I'll look back at that statement and laugh hysterically, but for now...). All through high school, I was gonna be a doctor. And honestly, I still might if I could swing another acceptance to the University of Poznan some time later in life. Well, the time to choose a college came and went. I ended up at USC, turning down a half tuition scholarship and guaranteed fellowship at UCR. According to my mom, eight days after school started, I called and told her I was switching majors to Linguistics and Music Theory. After a talk, I ended up choosing mechanical engineering. That ended up not working (took me a year and a half to figure it out). So in the spring of 2008, my parents came down to L.A. for the weekend, and I explained that I'm not happy with ME, and need to change. We had a long talk, and looked at the Course Catalogue. Now I'm in International Relations and happy. I'm actually enjoying my classes, which means I'm actually going to classes and studying (a far cry from my engineering days). So academically, I'm very much into international conflict and diplomacy, as well as foreign economics. Going back in time to the change from Pre-Med to ME, that winter I also joined the Air Force ROTC program at USC. That was fun. ROTC for me was an escape from ME classes, which I hated. I gained most of my friends from that program, along with my rowing friends. I even went to Field Training (the ROTC version of boot camp) in Alabama last summer. That was a memorable experience. I looked terrible in the last few pictures from those six weeks. But I wouldn't trade that time for the world. I don't feel I wasted any time in ME or in ROTC. I think it's pretty obvious that I love learning in all forms, and travel because I'm interested in other languages and cultures. Going even further into the past, I was taught to cook at a very young age. I remember watching how much my dad enjoyed spicing a meal just right and how satisfied he was with a great meal (which it always was). I guess I get my love of cooking from him. Talk about brief... I'll continue my personal history later.

No comments: