Saturday, February 21, 2009

Weekend Recipe 2/21/09

So after I got home from my interview at Bottega Louie downtown, I wanted to take a shower and go to class. But while I was in my shower, I started feeling sick. Like, reallllly sick. I then spent all day in bed, and suffered through incredibly high fevers that night. I went to the health center the next morning, and it turns out I have the flu. It hit me like a ton of bricks on Wednesday, and I've been pretty much bedridden and miserable since then. I keep on pushing fluids, resting, taking Advil, and I'm getting slightly better, but I'm still pretty horribly sick. Anyway, this weekend recipe is one that I just found, and modified. It was from a Washington Post article originally, but I doubt mine still has much resemblance to it:

2 cups water
ground ginger (pretty liberal amount)
brown sugar (3-4 teaspoons)
sea salt (2-3 pinches)
honey (1-2 teaspoons)

Microwave for about 1 minute. Enjoy. Honestly it tastes like sugar water, but you still get a very cleansing aftertaste of ginger that you can feel in the throat and nose. I'm sure you can tone down the sugar, and maybe use fresh ginger, boil the stuff, do all kinds of things to it. But for now, it tastes good and makes me feel better. Hope it can do the same thing for you.
Cheers,
*cough*
-Peter

2 comments:

Sara said...

I don't want you to think I'm sketchy
(I promise I'm not) I ran across your blog on the Tommy's Kitchen Facebook page.

Ok maybe that is a little sketchy, but nonetheless I am most positive you will make your way to New York to FCI (I know a bunch of people who went there, I went to le Cordon Bleu in Paris) and even if you don't make it, trust me there are a million other wonderful paths to becoming a chef.

Best of luck!

Peter Matarrese said...

Not sketchy at all. You wouldn't happen to have taken IR 210 last semester with Prof. Lamy, and sat in the front right side of the lecture hall would you? I half met someone/should have introduced myself properly to someone who had spent a summer in Paris at le Cordon Bleu. If by chance you are, we should talk. I'd definitely like to pick someone's brain who has actually been to a culinary school before.